Montag, 18. November 2013

surreal me - manifesto

I am happy to start with a new "manifesto" project for university right away. 
I am going to do an animation inspired by a modernist period of art. 
I am most interested in surrealism at the moment. Did some research on Dalí and also Dadaism (which inspired the surrealists pretty much) and rediscovered automatic writing. 
I used to do that some years ago and found it very inspiring. 
Gets me in to the flow. 
This year I already did a project on subconsiousness and stimulating creativity. And here it goes again!

Apparantly Dalí used to stand on his head for long periods in order to create halluciniations and get in to a "trance-like"-state. 

To be honest I stood on my head today to find out if it could really make me see differently.
But as it turns out I am not yet strong enough to be in a handstand for longer than one minute. 
I shall practice though and have another go soon. 

But I really wanted to get to in to that state of mind where I stop thinking and just draw what comes from inside. 
So i figured that I could get closest to my inner something by drawing my own face. 
It kinda worked but I'm not there yet. It's a bit scary to have my face hanging around 3 times in my room now. Especially since it is A2 sized. 






Obviously I am not going to animate these drawings. But hopefully they will lead me somewhere new. 
I also re-adapted some figures of my life drawing class because I can imagine a dancing surreal human body. 




I would like to continue with automatic writing but am not sure about my ability to do it in english. 
So much for now.

1 Kommentar:

  1. The idea of inducing hallucinations is an interesting one and could result in some good surreal ideals although standing on your head for long periods of time isn't very good for you (the rush of blood to the head isn't exactly healthy). You can more easily create the same effect though by covering your eyes with something that blocks out all light and covering your ears with something that blocks out sound, it'll take a little big longer to take effect but when the brain is starved of stimulation it begins to freak out and cause hallucinations (Source : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwd25JV-jnU - Vsauce : Why Do We Get Bored?)

    AntwortenLöschen